Man Who Thought COVID-19 Was A Hoax Dies After Attending COVID-19 Party

A 30-year-old patient died at Methodist Hospital in San Antonio this week after attending a party themed “COVID party,” according to the hospital.

His final words before he kicked the bucket were:

“I think I made a mistake. I thought this was a hoax, but it’s not.”

Dr. Jane Appleby, chief medical officer for Methodist Hospital and Methodist Children’s Hospital, in a recorded statement revealed that the unidentified patient informed nurses about the party, which she said is hosted by someone diagnosed with coronavirus.

“The thought is people get together to see if the virus is real and if anyone gets infected,” Appleby said.

Appleby said she shared the story to help people understand that anyone can be affected by the virus, not to scare them.

Bexar County, where San Antonio is located, currently has 18,602 confirmed cases, with an increase of 923 on Friday, according to the Department of Health.

Most of the cases were recorded to be within the range of people aged 20 to 29, making up 24%, and 30 to 39, making up 20%, according to the department.

Appleby said her hospital is seeing more cases in people in their 20s and 30s. She added that while some can be treated and discharged, others become seriously ill.

Appleby while warning that the virus “doesn’t discriminate”, advised the public to wear a mask and try their best to stay home.

Source:https://abcnews.go.com/US/30-year-man-dies-attending-covid-party-thinking/story?id=71731414