An electric bicycle is a motorized bicycle with an integrated electric motor used to assist propulsion.
Many kinds of e-bikes are available worldwide, but they generally fall into two broad categories: bikes that assist the rider’s pedal-power (i.e. pedelecs) and bikes that add a throttle, integrating moped-style functionality.
Both retain the ability to be pedaled by the rider and are therefore not electric motorcycles.
E-bikes use rechargeable batteries and typically travel up to 25 to 32 km/h (16 to 20 mph). High-powered varieties can often travel more than 45 km/h (28 mph).
The term “pedelec” (from pedal electric cycle) refers to a pedal-assist e-bike with a relatively low-powered electric motor and a decent but not excessive top speed.
Pedelecs are therefore especially useful for people in hilly areas where riding a bike would prove too strenuous for many to consider taking up cycling as a daily means of transport. They are also useful for riders who more generally need some assistance, e.g. for people with heart, leg muscle or knee joint issues.
E-bikes use rechargeable batteries in addition to electric motors and some form of control. Battery systems in use include sealed lead-acid (SLA), nickel-cadmium (NiCad), nickel-metal hydride (NiMH) or lithium-ion polymer (Li-ion).
Batteries vary according to the voltage, total charge capacity (amp hours), weight, the number of charging cycles before performance degrades, and ability to handle over-voltage charging conditions. The energy costs of operating e-bikes are small, but there can be considerable battery replacement costs. The lifespan of a battery pack varies depending on the type of usage. Shallow discharge/recharge cycles will help extend the overall battery life.
Range is a key consideration with e-bikes, and is affected by factors such as motor efficiency, battery capacity, efficiency of the driving electronics, aerodynamics, hills and weight of the bike and rider.
Benefits of E-Bicycle
- Ease of access despite sub optimal road conditions
- Use of effective road reach in remote areas
- Various sized solutions for transporting and delivery
- Lower cost of fuel and maintenance compared to two to 3 wheelers options .
- User friendly and cost effective in the long run
- It will promote mobile branding of the business and brand advertisement
- GREEN Environment/ Pollution FREE Nigeria
- Improved physical health. Some people may think because the bike is electric and takes less effort to ride that it’s not really exercise
- Easier to ride. Pedal assist gives riders a boost
- Better mental health
Simba Planet- www.simbaplanet.com