We'll deal with criminals who hijack peaceful protest- president Buhari warns

President Buhari has warned that his government will deal decisively with any criminal who hijacks peaceful protests.

The President issued the warning while virtually declaring open the chief of army staff’s annual conference 2020 on Monday, December 7. The president said anyone found wanting will be dealt with decisively, adding that peace and stability in the country is not debatable.

“Let me also mention the EndSARS protest which was recently hijacked by hoodlums which resulted in loss of lives and property in many situations across the country. I want to reiterate our government’s commitment to the rights of citizens to embark on peaceful protests.

However, this must be done responsibly in accordance with the laws of the land.

I also want to state that any act of hooliganism hiding behind the peaceful protests, will be highly dealt with decisively to ensure the peace and stability of our nation.

On this note, I commend the Nigeria Army for their efforts to swiftly restore law and order in many states during the last scale of criminality that ensued in the wake of the EndSARS protests.”he said

He commended the army for its commitment towards curtailing the activities of insurgents, armed bandits, kidnappers, cattle rustlers and other criminals across the country through its ongoing exercises and operations.

”I have also been briefed about the tremendous successes that have been achieved by troops during the ongoing Operation FIRE BALL in the North East. I charge you all to sustain these efforts until the full restoration of peace and security in the nation is achieved.”he said