Manchester United striker, Edinson Cavani handed two-match international ban

60255b2d55ca3

Manchester United striker, Edinson Cavani has been slapped with a two-game international ban for his horror tackle on Richarlison during Uruguay’s defeat by Brazil last November.

The 33-year -old forward will now miss Uruguay’s upcoming games against Argentina and Bolivia after he landed a two-match ban for a challenge on Richarlison last year.

In the World Cup qualifier, Cavani was dismissed following a mistimed tackle in the 71st minute after he landed squarely on the Everton forward’s ankle.

Initially, the referee gave him a yellow card but was advised by VAR to check again on the pitchside monitor. He was then given his marching orders and Uruguay went on to lose the qualifier 2-0.

“I think it was a ball dispute, he went over the top,” Richarlison said after the game. “If my foot was stuck it might have even broken my ankle, but I think it wasn’t bad. He tried to steal the ball and ended up missing.”

Uruguay face Argentina and Bolivia in the March international break and FIFA confirmed Cavani will not be able to play in either match. The ban will be beneficial to United as he will be fully rested for the final weeks of the season after the March international break.