Lagos State Pension Verification Exercise Will Be Held Virtually in 2020

Originally published at: https://www.ogbongeblog.com/lagos-state-pension-verification-exercise-will-be-held-virtually-in-2020.html

The Lagos State Government, on Tuesday revealed that the 2020 bi-annual verification of its retired officials, usually known as “I am Alive,” will be held virtually through online Biometric and Facial Verification in replacement of the existing method.

Speaking at a Press Conference held in Alausa, Ikeja, the Commissioner for Establishments, Training and Pensions, Mrs. Ajibola Ponnle said the new approach is in furtherance of the government’s efforts to reduce the effects of COVlD-19 pandemic in the State, and in observance of physical distancing rules and protocols.

This new initiative represents a total departure from the usual verification exercise whereby pensioners are expected to be physically present at their respective Local Government Areas for the verification exercise and revalidation of their documents”, Ponnle explained.

According to the Commissioner, the exercise will be conducted over a 3 week period using technology instead of the usual physical verification, popularly known as “I AM Alive”.

Let me also stress that optimal use of technology will form an integral part of Y2020 biometric verification exercise with the use of Zoom/Skype or any of the Cloud 1CT applications to replace the usual physical appearance of pensioners for the ”I Am Alive” validation session of the exercise.” She said.

Mrs Ponle who said key members of staff in the Civil Service Pension office had been trained to handle the virtual verification also called for the cooperation of concerned stakeholders for the success of the exercise.

![lagos state pensioners verification|700x430](upload://pouvzRw0gx08KmOEGO0Zblfput5.jpeg)

Earlier, Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Information and Strategy, Mr Shina Thorpe noted that the online exercise would also lessen the stress on the aged pensioner, some who had to be accompanied to physical venues twice yearly by relatives or caregivers.